Saturday, November 12, 2011

Summing Up my Learning 2.0 Experience

At the very beginning of the semester during the new student orientation, I distinctly remember one of the LIS professors standing up and telling us to prepare to have our minds stretched like they've never been stretched before. Now that I'm nearing the end of my first semester and have reached the conclusion of this Learning 2.0 Activity, I can, in all sincerity, say that my mind has definitely undergone some serious mental gymnastics. Though I am really putting myself out in the open by admitting this, the aspect I was most hesitant and afraid of when beginning this program was learning about all of the information technology and Web 2.0 stuff. Computers knowledge in general has never come easy or naturally to me and I have never been exposed to many of the Web 2.0 tools out here on the internet. I frequently have fallen into that trap of self-fulfilling prophesy where if I think I cannot do something because it seems too hard or unfamiliar, chances are I do not do it. Therefore, if I had to pick one thing that I really took away from this course and Learning 2.0 activity, it was that I persevered and tackled each activity one by one. Some of them came easier than others, but I made it through them all and learned a great deal in the process!


I think some of my favorite activities of Learning 2.0 included learning about how to use and set up a blog, learning about podcasts, discovering what RSS feeds were, and the last activity that involved learning about other web 2.0 tools, such as Google docs. I have actually bookmarked that list of Web 2.0 award winners to check out all of those different applications. One of them I am currently exploring is LibraryThing. Perhaps the most surprising tool that I discovered was delicious. When I set up my delicious account, I honestly didn't think I'd ever use it again. Well, I'm eating my own words for I've used it quite a bit since then! I am sure many of these diverse tools can be very useful in a library setting and I am appreciative that I now know more about them and can explore them further on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment