Sunday, September 4, 2011

7 1/12 Lifelong Learning Habits

This is my first ever blog...kind of an exciting experience.

       I found the 7 1/2 habits to lifelong learning an interesting array of points to consider. Many of them seem very common-sense, straightforward habits that, when followed, make for an excellent foundation to learning. However, I did find it a bit tricky in determining which habit was easiest and which was hardest for me. I find that it simply can vary from day to day. If I did have to pick one of the 71/2 habits though that has always been extremely important to me and which I have always striven to follow, it would be the habit of accepting responsibility for my own learning. My education, especially my higher education, has been something I never take for granted. I've always tried to get the most out my learning so as to make a better life for myself. Even at those moments when learning a new skill or subject can be downright hard, I persevere, ask questions and value what I do get out of the experience. I know if I fail to take charge of my own learning, my time in classes would be in vain. No one is going to do the work for me; I need to do it myself.
         Of the 7 1/2 habits presented on the site, the one I tend to struggle with the most would, believe it or not, using technology to my advantage. I have a basic knowledge of computers and have certainly used them a great deal. Yet I never have really challenged myself to expand my abilities. This past week alone, I have learned so much and have gained a greater appreciation for technology, especially computers. Technology can still be frustrating and requires a great deal of effort to keep up with its rapid changes, but it can really be a great tool for educational, entertaining, and informational purposes.
      





5 comments:

  1. I agree with what you were saying about how technology is a constant challenge to negotiate, but also how it can be a rewarding path to traverse. This week has also opened my eyes to the many tools out there for us to use. I hope that we can help one another face the web and win.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with how it varies from day to day. The same happens with me all the time. I think the one I probably have the most trouble with is having confidence. It's always hard going into something that you know so little about. And like you, I am not exactly the most experienced when it comes to computers and website building. But when you are going through hell, just keep on going I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you on technology. That's one of the things I like about this class - that it will force (force sounds so negative! How about... motivate) me to explore programs and applications that have sounded interesting but that I otherwise probably wouldn't investigate. Zotero is first on the list

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great that you accept responsibility for your own learning. I'm sure you'll do fine in the MLS program here because of that quality. I'm with you on the using technology to my advantage. Sometimes it seems to make tasks more difficult rather than simpler.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your blog looks great! I love the background you've chosen. I think you hit the nail on the head for me with what you said about technology, which is funny considering how pertinent it is to most of our lifestyles. At times, I feel I almost shy away from learning it. I don't know if it's because I either think I'll just be able to understand if I need to or take it for granted that someone else will be able to show me how it use it if need be. Learning technology is very frustrating at times but it is quite rewarding when you finally "get" what you're trying to grasp.

    ReplyDelete